“Black Betty” is finally complete, here is a stack of pics showing what Ive done.
I applied the black primer, then sanding and very fine filling, patching etc. One nice thing was the primer dried with a slightly rough spatter-texture finish, I decided to leave this in place on the grip area but sand and smooth all the other parts. Having used a black primer it was straight forward applying topcoats of matte black, I applied about 5 or 6 light coats until coverage was complete then one more slightly heavier coat over that to give it some durability. The whole thing was left to cure over about four hot days of 30+ degrees, hot weather is good for something.
After that, I just put it all together, there were no major dramas. Final finishing involved spraying the grip base a nice silver colour and adding some gunmetal effect to the gun itself using graphite powder applied to all the raised surfaces, this will need to be touched up now and then but I find it gives a more realistic dark metal look than using the dry brush and metal paint technique.
As you can see, I also made some “rock” bullets. These are made from black 6mm acrylic that I smashed into little sharp bits then glued back together in a rock-look-alike way. Some basic painting, gloss on the sharps and matte rusty-black on the base give them their final look. They can be removed from the brass cartridge in case we want to shoot spent cartridges or try another look for the bullets.
So, that’s that. I guess I will get on and build a simplified stunt version for the scenes where the gun gets handled roughly, this one is way to fragile to be thrown across a room.